Mchinji District Data Dashboard
MamaYe Malawi highlights maternal, newborn and child health issues in Mchinji district, based on local evidence from MamaYe data dashboards.
This dashboard calls on the key roles that communities, traditional leaders, health workers and policy makers in Mchinji district play in maternal and newborn survival.
Key findings from the dashboards included:
- Since 2010, 77 women in Mchinji have died from pregnancy and childbirth-related causes
- Nearly half of these deaths were due to blood loss (haemorrhage)
- Lack of available blood was a contributing factor in 1 in 5 maternal deaths
- In 2013, 502 babies died in health facilities in Mchinji district, including newborns and fresh stillborns. This is more than 9 babies each week.
- Mchinji donated less blood in 2013 than in 2012. Without blood, women will continue to die.
Evidence for Action - MamaYe. (2014). Mchinji District Data Dashboard and Advocacy Resources. Lilongwe & London: Evidence for Action.